Teacher Quality Project
As a leader in educator preparation in Texas, we have worked to provide a meaningful and productive experience for all candidates seeking initial certification. Quality is a continual process, though, so we are constantly striving to enrich the purpose of our program, placing outstanding educators in the classroom. The following are some achievements and actions taken to surpass minimum state requirements and better prepare our teacher candidates to change students' lives.
- The quality of our online instruction meets world-wide standards such as Quality Matters® external certification.
- In the 2018 NCTQ review of 285 of the nation's graduate and alternative certification programs preparing elementary teachers, INSPIRE TEXAS by Region 4 scored at the top (99th percentile), compared to all other such graduate and alternative certification programs.
- In the 2018 NCTQ review of 437 of the nation's graduate and alternative certification programs preparing secondary teachers, INSPIRE TEXAS by Region 4 scored at the top (99th percentile), compared to all other such graduate and alternative certification programs.
- Our teacher certification program is evidence-based and informed by the best available research in three critical domains: admissions (selection of candidates), content knowledge, and the quality of practice opportunities (including a focus on classroom management).
- The acceptance process will require an online audition and either a minimum overall GPA of 2.75 or a standardized test score (GRE, SAT, or ACT) in the top half of the college-going population.
- To teach a single subject, all candidates must pass the corresponding TExES content test and have at least 30 semester credit hours (SCH) in the subject area.
- To teach multiple subjects in the sciences or social studies, all candidates must pass the corresponding TExES content test for each subject and have at least 50 total semester credit hours (SCH) across the sciences or at least 15 SCH in at least two teachable subject
- Teacher candidates ARE required to pass TExES exams prior to the internship.
- Prior to a candidate beginning a teaching practicum, 30 hours of field experience (classroom observations) must be submitted for verification. During the teaching practicum, a cooperating teacher will be assigned who is recommended by the campus principal and peers as both a capable adult mentor and an effective instructor.