Superintendent Program Overview
INSPIRE TEXAS' Superintendent Certification program prepares you to navigate the big picture in running a Texas school district. Through internship assignments, research required reading, and leadership sessions, you’ll be in a position to make an impact on children in Houston, TX, and the surrounding areas in Texas.
To begin the Superintendent Certification program, you will need:
- a valid Standard Principal or Mid-Management Certificate; OR TEA approval to substitute managerial experience in lieu of principal certification. Click here to access the application for TEA approval.
- a Master’s or other advanced degree from a regionally accredited university with a minimum GPA of 3.0
To be eligible for admission, an applicant shall have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00
The GPA shall be calculated from an official transcript as follows:
- 3.00 on all coursework previously attempted at an accredited IHE
- or 3.00 in the last 60 semester credit hours on all coursework previously attempted at an accredited IHE
If you are applying and your master’s degree or equivalent comes from a non-English-speaking university outside the United States, the following is required:
- A university degree from outside of the U.S. must be evaluated, verified, and deemed equivalent to a master’s degree by an approved credential evaluation service. When requesting your credential evaluation from one of the approved TEA evaluation companies, please make sure to request it to include, GRADE by GRADE, GPA, and VERIFICATION. Please visit TEA website for a list of approved credential evaluation companies.
- GPA: 3.00 Grade Point Average (GPA) or equivalent.
- English Language Proficiency Assessment: Must be demonstrated before training by one of the following:
- Verification of satisfactory score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language-Internet Based Test (TOEFL iBT). Applicant must take all four portions (Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing) for a score to be calculated. All four sections must meet the folowwing criteria: The acceptable passing score on the Speaking portion is 24; Listening is 22; Reading is 22; and Writing is 21. To have scores submitted directly to Region 4, use our institution code 4805.
- Please register at the Education Testing Center (ETS)
- Information concerning the Texas Education Agency English language proficiency requirements, including new score requirements for the Test of English as a Foreign Language - Internet Based Test (TOEFL-iBT)
- List of countries outside of the United States approved by the State for Educator Certification (SBEC).
STEP 1: APPLY
Complete the online application. The application fee is $95 and is non-refundable. Assemble the following documents, to be mailed to us at least 15 days prior to the application deadline.
- Official transcript(s), in sealed envelopes, from the college/university conferring a master's degree
- Service record, if applicable
- Letter of reference from the superintendent in your district or designee on district letterhead
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you would like your transcript(s) returned to you
PLEASE SEND ALL MATERIALS TO:
INSPIRE TEXAS | Educator Certification by Region 4, 7145 W. Tidwell Rd., Houston, TX 77092
NOTE: You have up to 60 days to complete the online application once it is started.
Certification Program Application Deadline: September 9, 2022
After your application is submitted and documents received, you will be notified via email of your acceptance into the program.
All candidates are required to go through a criminal history background check. Region 4 and INSPIRE TEXAS reserves the right to disqualify an applicant who has a criminal history record. Per TAC §227.1 (d) The EPP has informed applicants and candidates of the required information regarding criminal history. The applicant will be notified when the report is run, and Inspire Texas receives the results. In addition, the applicant has the right to request their results. Candidates who defer the program and re-enter after six (6) months will go through a new criminal history background check.
Please note: Applicants who have committed and been convicted of a criminal offense, per the Texas Administrative Code §227.1 (d)(1), may be ineligible for certification as a teacher in the State of Texas. Per the Texas Administrative Code §227.1 (d)(1), applicants have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the Texas Education Agency to determine if a convicted criminal offense has rendered them ineligible. Full information on this process may be found at: https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educators/investigations/preliminary-criminal-history-evaluation-faqs.
STEP 2: TRAIN
The Superintendent Certification program, which lasts one year, is a combination of online coursework and six full-day sessions at the Region 4 Aspiring Superintendent & LEADERship & academy. These sessions are conducted by prominent, practicing Texas superintendents AND EXPERTS who discuss course topics and current issues facing today’s superintendents, such as INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP, SUPERINTENDENT-BOARD RELATIONS, FINANCE, AND ADVOCACY.
As a Region 4 candidate, you will gain invaluable knowledge and contacts, with more than 200 clock hours of instruction. Your training includes content and topics such as district planning and decision-making, community and board relations, legal issues, school finance, and specific preparation for the Superintendent TExES exam.
Under the guidance of a mentor and your assigned field supervisor, you will also complete a minimum of 160 hours of field experience at an accredited school district, charter or private school. All Region 4 field supervisors are experienced, Texas-certified superintendents.
During your training, you will prepare for the TExES examination to obtain your Standard Superintendent Certificate.
Courses meet the needs of diverse learning styles. Should further accommodations be necessary for disabilities, please contact our offices at 713.744.6323 or firstname.lastname@example.org
. We will be happy to assist with the appropriate accommodation.
STEP 3: GET CERTIFIED
You’re almost there. Preparation sessions for the TExES Superintendent Exam are scheduled during the final three months of the program. After passing the TExES exam – in addition to successfully completing your training, internship and payment of all program fees – you will be recommended by Inspire Texas for the Standard Superintendent Certification.