Principal Program Overview
INSPIRE TEXAS' 1-year Principal Certification program prepares you to set the leadership tone for teachers and students in your school, and in the community you serve. Coursework and internship activities are designed to broaden your experience and build relationships. By program’s end, you’ll have what it takes to be an effective administrator in the 21st century.
To begin the Principal Certification program, you will need:
- a master’s or other advanced degree from a regionally accredited university with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- a valid Teacher Certificate with at least 2 years of credible teaching experience
- demonstrated leadership skills in professional and community activities
- approval from a certified school principal or assistant principal to serve as your mentor (Mentors must have a minimum of 3 years experience as a school administrator)
STEP 1: APPLY
Complete the online application. The application fee is $95 and is non-refundable. Assemble the following documents, to be mailed to us at least 15 days prior to the application deadline.
- Valid Teacher Certificate
- Official transcript(s), in sealed envelopes, of a master’s or other advanced degree program with a minimum 3.0 GPA. Electronic copies may be sent to email@example.com
- Certified or notarized copy of service record indicating a minimum of 2 years credible teaching experience
- Letter of recommendation from current principal or supervisor (if current position is not campus based) on school or school district letterhead
Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you would like your transcript(s) returned to you.
Email or send materials to:
INSPIRE TEXAS | Educator Certification by Region 4, 7145 W. Tidwell Rd., Houston, TX 77092
Click Here to Apply
After your application is submitted and documents received, you will be notified via email of your acceptance into the program. When you receive your notification, choose the training date that works best for you.
All candidates are required to go through a criminal history background check. Region 4 and INSPIRE TEXAS reserves the right to disqualify an applicant who has a criminal history record. Per TAC §227.1 (d) The EPP has informed applicants and candidates of the required information regarding criminal history. The applicant will be notified when the report is run, and Inspire Texas receives the results. In addition, the applicant has the right to request their results. Candidates who defer the program and re-enter after six (6) months will go through a new criminal history background check.
STEP 2: SELECT COHORT
Inspire Texas’ Principal Certification cohorts are offered four times a year, beginning in January, April, July and October.
STEP 3: TRAINING and CALENDAR
You can be certified to become a principal in as little as one year. With more than 200 clock hours of instruction, your training includes topics such as educational leadership, developmental supervision, budget planning and specific preparation for the Principal TExES exam.
- Induction and successful internship
- Introduction to Principal as Instructional Leader
- Human Resources Management
- Principalship and Educational Leadership
- Instructional Leadership
- School Culture
Under the guidance of a mentor and your assigned field supervisor, you will also complete a minimum of 160 hours of field experience at an accredited school district, charter or private school.
STEP 4: GET CERTIFIED
At the conclusion of your certification training and internship, the final step is successfully passing the TExES Principal Exam. Passing a content area is required by the majority of school districts in Texas. When you have successfully met all the requirements, we will recommend you for the Standard Principal Certification.
More information is available online for TExES exam registration, preparation, and test dates.